Sunday, May 26, 2013

Madness, You Say?


For this blog's inaugural post, I am going to talk about a subject that has grown on me throughout my years in college: Magic: The Gathering. I was introduced to this game during my sophmore year of college and have been playing ever since. I should follow this statement with a disclaimer; I am no tournament player. I much prefer casual play amongst my friends where cards from many different Magic sets can combine in unique, fun, and sometimes, as I will demonstrate later in this post, ridiculous ways. I am a big fan of EDH, or Commander, since it allows many cards that don't normally see a lot of play their chance to shine, and have created four of my own decks following this format, with a fifth in the works. My latest creation, featuring Melek, Izzet Paragon as its illustrious commander, is the focus of the rest of this post.

While hitting random on the Gatherer website one night (a wonderful way to find interesting cards), I came across a card from the original Ravnica set called Eye of the Storm. For those who aren’t familiar with the blue enchantment, the exact wording of the card is as follows: “Whenever a player plays an instant or sorcery card, remove it from the game. Then that player copies each instant or sorcery card removed from the game with Eye of the Storm. For each copy, the player may play the copy without paying its mana cost”. I had also recently picked up a card called Hive Mind, another blue enchantment that says, “Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell, each other player copies that spell. Each of those players may choose new targets for his or her copy”. Since the Izzet are one of my favorite guilds from Ravnica, I immediately began thinking of a spell-focused blue/red deck where my objective wasn’t necessarily to win, but to give everyone the opportunity to “have fun”. Upon doing an advanced search for cards containing spell randomizing effects, I finally ended up with the following build for my “Chaos Deck”:

Creatures
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Mindclaw Shaman
Wee Dragonauts
Chandra’s Spitfire
Izzet Chronarch
Kiln Fiend
Nivix Guildmage
Augur of Bolas
Gelectrode
Shrewd Hatchling
Fire Servant
Djinn Illuminatus
Surrakar Spellblade
Galvanoth
Izzet Guildmage
Goblin Electromancer

Instants/Sorceries
Dizzy Spell
Erratic Mutation
Sleight of Hand
Brainstorm
Radiate
Rift Bolt
Mugging
Spy Network
Flame Slash
Fire/Ice
Fling
Lightning Bolt
Dissipate
Foresee
Chandra’s Outrage
Memory Lapse
Perilous Research
Turnabout
Traitorous Instinct
Magma Spray
Scrambleverse
Counterspell
Discombobulate
Fireball
Invoke the Firemind
Izzet Charm
Prophetic Bolt
Massive Raid
Warp World

Enchantments
Flight of Fancy
Quicksilver Dagger
Grip of Chaos
Quest for Pure Flame
Cloak of Invisibility
Hive Mind
Wild Evocation
Mystic Remora
Counterbalance
Confusion in the Ranks
Rhystic Study
Eye of the Storm

Artifacts

Izzet Signet
Isochron Scepter
Sphinx Bone Wand
Skull of Orm

Lands
1 x Izzet Boilerworks
1 x Saprazzan Skerry
1 x Reliquary Tower
1 x Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind
1 x Izzet Guildgate
16 x Islands
18 x Mountains


           
The only enchantment that I would like to include that I don’t currently have is Possibility Storm, if only to further increase the hilarious situations this deck causes in larger multiplayer games.

To give an actual gameplay example, 3 of my friends and I recently sat down to play some EDH. One of my friends didn’t have any decks with them but is also an Izzet fan, so I lent her my Melek deck saying only, “Cause mayhem”. I was not disappointed. In the late game she finally managed to play Wild Evocation and then got lucky on her next turn when it allowed her to cast Hive Mind for free. The following turn saw Grip of Chaos put into play, which visibly started to worry my other two friends. As a side note, I had been knocked out at this point while playing my artifact deck (another of my personal favorites), and so I was sitting back and enjoying the show. Finally, a couple of turns later, Wild Evocation allowed her to cast Rift Bolt, and to top it off she threw in a Radiate. This meant that even before the copies of Radiate given to my other friends by Hive Mind could be factored in, there were already 20 Rift Bolts on the stack, all with randomly assigned targets. At this point we all decided it was more important to find some dinner and so declared that everyone was obliterated in the massive wave of energy. Simply perfect.


Thanks for reading and I hope it was enjoyable. If it wasn’t, tell me and I’ll try to be more interesting (no easy task). Otherwise, look for me to post content about videogames as well as Magic, and even my own “exciting” adventures as I teach myself game development (which might mean short, free game downloads for you) while looking for work with a Bachelor’s in Physics.

- Arcthos

No comments:

Post a Comment